Sunday, July 20, 2008

Colt Following

I'll go ahead and say it, I love Colt Brennan. I happen to know there are a lot of other people who do as well, but I mean it. I think Colt Brennan is the cat's pajamas. There isn't really one thing I can put my finger on that really draws me to him, it's just the total package. It's everything big and little: he holds 31 NCAA records (from playing just two years of college ball), he set the records in paradise, playing for Hawaii, he was a Heisman finalist, he's a beach bum (everything I aspire to be), he knows how to do the Haka, he wears a tinted visor as a quarterback, he's from Laguna Beach, he played with Matt Leinart in high school, he tried dreadlocks, he dyed the Hawaiian islands in his head, he learned Samoan to communicate with his linemen and most importantly, he's now a Washington Redskin.

I followed Brennan in college. I stayed up for the 4 a.m. games to see Hawaii put up 50 points. It was crazy to see Brennan put up numbers like 500 yards passing and 6 TDs on a regular basis. What was even crazier was to see him do it in the first half. Often times, Brennan would just play the first half or the first three quarters of a game because they were beating the other team so badly. Brennan must have had it all: NCAA record holder, Heisman candidate, stud QB on an undefeated team, big man on campus, all of it happening in Hawaii.

I know you can point to Timmy Chang and say Brennan is just a product of a great system, but Brennan seems to be different. His throws are deadly accurate. He can put the ball pretty much wherever he wants. His arm strength is lacking, but how often does a quarterback need to bomb it 70 yards? Moreover, he's in a perfect system for his skillset. The West Coast offense Jim Zorn is implementing in DC relies on the QB's ability to hit receivers on short routes in tight spaces. Enter Brennan. Accuracy is the name of the game for the system. Even better for Brennan is that Jason Campbell is the starter and Todd Collins and is the backup. All Brennan has to do is spend this year grasping the playbook and getting himself healthy.

I'm not saying he's going to take over. In fact, he might not even play a down. All I'm saying is I like the guy's style...and when's the next time you're going to get hyped over a third string QB?

No comments: